Breakfast is believed to be the most important meal of the day and is also my favourite meal of the day. I wake every morning looking forward to my first meal of the day (typically after my morning workout), so I am usually starving. However, for a very long time I struggled to come up with a sweet breakfast meal (as I am not a savory breakfast person) that is not laden with the unnecessary refined sugar and saturated fat.
When I was scrolling through Pinterest one night, I came across a fresh fruit and yogurt bowl recipe. I instantly fell in love with this recipe idea and could not wait to try it out the next morning. I also decided to add some muesli to the fresh fruit and yogurt to make it a more substantial meal for breakfast. Rather than using store-bought muesli, I decided to make my own paleo muesli which has no added nasties (only the good stuff – nuts, seeds and shredded coconut).
Warning: This is a very simple and healthy meal (and your body will thank you for it) and it will not take longer than 10 minutes to put together. It also is a great make ahead breakfast meal and stores well in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- 1.5 cups seasonal fruits, chopped (I use stoned fruit and berries in summer);
- 1/3 cup yogurt ( I use 1/6 greek yogurt and 1/6 vanilla coconut yogurt); and
- 1/4 cup muesli ( I use my homemade paleo muesli).
- Place the fruit in a cup or bowl;
- Add the yogurt on the top of the fruit;
- Top the fruit and yogurt with muesli. (If you are making this ahead of time, please keep the muesli separate from the fruit and yogurt as the muesli will go soggy) ;
- You can add some honey or maple syrup if you like your breakfast cups sweeter; and
- Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee 🙂