Store-bought muesli taste delicious but often they are ladened with refined sugar and saturated fat which are unnecessary for your body. Hence, I decided to make my own muesli so that I know exactly what is in my muesli (after all, we are what we eat).
Most recipes that I have come across tend to use honey/maple syrup and/or olive oil/coconut oil. However, I feel like I do not need these additional sweeteners and/or oil. So, I decided to come up with my very own oil and sweetener free muesli.
The main ingredient in this muesli is shredded coconut and I really love the crunchiness of the baked shredded coconut. So, here we go…
- 300g shredded coconut;
- 250g sunflower seeds;
- 125g pumpkin seeds;
- 1/4 cup chia seeds;
- 3 cups nuts of your choice (I typically use almonds, cashews and walnuts), chopped roughly; and
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius;
- Mix all the above ingredients in a large bowl;
- Transfer the mixture into a baking tray and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. The mixture needs to be stirred at least every 10 minutes to ensure the whole mixture is cooked evenly;
- Once baked, allow the mixture to cool and then, transfer into an air-tight container. The mixture will last up to a month in a cool dark area. Otherwise it can be stored in the fridge or freezer for up to three months; and
- Enjoy with fruit and yogurt or simply eat it on its own as a snack.