Every Friday night, I try and make something ‘exciting’ for dinner as it is nice to end the work week with an indulgent meal especially if it has been a long work week. Last week, I decided to make quinoa bean burgers for Friday night dinner. I typically buy the burger buns from my local supermarket. But last week, I was keen to make my own burger buns. So, off I went online searching for an easy bun recipe. Most recipes that I came across were simple enough to make, but required a couple of hours for the buns to proof before baking and I did not have that much time as I was going to make the buns after work! So, I kept searching for recipes until I came across this recipe which only requires five ingredients and yeast free and hence, no need for the dough to proof. I tweaked this recipe a little and gave it my own spin to come up with this wholemeal bagel recipe.
And these bagels turned out deliciously soft and tasty and went perfectly with my quinoa bean burger. And best of all, they only took 20 minutes (excluding baking time) at most to make. So, if you have 20 minutes to spare and feel like making some bagels, why don’t you give this recipe a try?
For those counting calories and macros, please use the table below as a guide.
- 1 cup wholemeal flour;
- 1 cup Greek yogurt;
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs;
- 2 tsp baking powder;
- Splash of milk (dairy/non-dairy milk); and
- Seeds: black & white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, chia seeds, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius and grease a baking tray well with butter or olive oil (this is important to avoid the bagels from sticking to the tray);
- Place the wholemeal flour, Italian herbs and baking powder in a large bowl and mix these ingredients together until well combined;
- Add the Greek yogurt to the flour mixture and mix with a spoon or fork until well combined;
- Dust your workspace with flour and transfer the dough from the bowl to your workspace. Knead the dough a few times until it is tacky but not sticky (it should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away);
- Divide the kneaded dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into 3/4 inch thick ropes and join the ends to form a bagel and place on your greased baking tray;
- Brush the top of each bagel with milk and sprinkle with your preferred seeds. Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the bagels turn golden brown;
- Remove the bagels from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool for 10 minutes; and
- Enjoy your bagels with eggs, smoked salmon, cream cheese or even ricotta and honey for a sweet treat.