My second favourite food after peanut butter is banana bread. I love banana bread and I have it almost every time we go out for breakfast/brunch – I know not very healthy but it’s good for my soul :P) But as we know, most banana breads out there are overly sweet and contain unnecessary amounts of saturated fat. So, I am always trying to create healthier versions of banana bread.
I make homemade banana bread once every two weeks and I try to keep the ingredients as healthy and nutritious as possible. I try to keep my banana breads refined sugar free and usually the only sugar in the bread is from the bananas and/or sundried fruits such as currants, sultanas or goji berries.
I made this banana bread a few weeks ago. It is vegan, oil free, refined sugar free and gluten free. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have. As always, please let me know what you think of this recipe. If you like what you see on my blog, please follow me on this blog and/or Instagram for some food porn.
For those of you counting calories or macros, please use the table below as a guide.
- 3 bananas, ripe;
- 2 flax/chia eggs;
- 1/8 cup unsweetened coconut milk;
- 2 cups rolled oats;
- 2 tbsp. desiccated coconut;
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds;
- 2 tbsp. sunflowers seeds;
- 2 tbsp. pepitas;
- 2 tbsp. sultanas;
- 1 tbsp. hemp seeds;
- 1 tsp cardamom powder (you can add half the amount if you do not fancy cardamom);
- 1 tsp baking powder; and
- For the topping: 1 tsp sunflower seeds, 1 tsp pepitas & 1 tbsp. goji berries.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius and grease a bread tray with olive oil;
- In a food processor, place the bananas and process until it becomes creamy;
- Then, add the flax/chia eggs and coconut milk and process until well combined. Add the rolled oats and process until combined;
- Add all the remaining ingredients (except the topping) and process until well combined;
- Transfer the banana bread mixture to the greased tray and top with the topping ingredients;
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown;
- Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely;
- Slice in the banana bread and enjoy with peanut butter 🙂 Store in the fridge for up to a week.