I recently went to Bali and I fell in love with the Indonesian gado gado dish. Gado gado is a vegan friendly dish made up of steamed vegetables, fried tofu and tempeh and is accompanied with a spicy creamy peanut sauce. In my opinion, the peanut sauce is what really makes or breaks the gado gado dish. Traditionally, the peanut sauce is made with freshly roasted peanuts. But I took the easy way out and used natural peanut butter instead. And I must say I was pretty impressed with the taste and creaminess of my peanut sauce.
This peanut sauce is so simple to make and only uses five ingredients. It is gluten free, free of nasties and extremely tasty. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have. As always, please let me know what you think of this recipe.
If you like what you see on this blog, you can follow me on my blog, Facebook or Instagram for some food porn.
Serves 4 (more or less depending on how much you use)
- 2 tbsp natural smooth peanut butter;
- 4 tbsp peanut butter powder + 4 tbsp hot water (you can replace this with 4 tbsp peanut butter if you do not have peanut butter powder);
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil;
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce;
- 1/2-1 tbsp siracha/hot sauce (I used 1 tbsp as I prefer a spicier sauce but you can use less); and
- Hot water.
- If you are using peanut butter powder, whisk the peanut butter powder and 4 tbsp of hot water until well combined;
- Then, add the peanut butter and additional 4 tbsp of hot water to the above mixture and whisk until well combined;
- Finally, add the siracha/hot sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil to the mixture and whisk until well combined;
- You can add more water if you prefer your sauce on the runnier side 😊; and
- Enjoy in your salad, roast/steam vegetables, as a satay sauce or even in a satay curry 🍛