I don’t know about you, but I always end up with ripe bananas towards the end of the week. I usually use these ripe bananas to make banana bread, muffins or simply freeze them to make a breakfast smoothie when I feel like it. I think I sometimes subconsciously buy the same amount of bananas each week so that I can make baked goods with them. When I use ripe bananas in baking, I don’t use any other sweeteners even if they are refined sugar free because I believe sugar is sugar no matter the form of sugar used. Yes, coconut sugar and honey are lower GI than white sugar, but it is still sugar and we humans don’t need sugar as much as we consume them 😅
These muffins I made a few weeks ago and they contain lots of goodness for our body such as apple, bananas, rye flour, protein powder, rolled oats, chia seeds, linseeds and hemp seeds. So they are low GI, packed with complex carbohydrates, good fat and have higher protein amounts than most store bought muffins 😊 These muffins are also dairy free, refined sugar free and vegan friendly. They are perfect for a sweet snack when you are craving something sweet during that 3pm slump that we all have during the work day 🤤🤤🤤
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have. As always, please let me know what you think of this recipe.
If you like what you see on this blog, you can follow me on my blog, Facebook or Instagram for some food porn.
For those counting calories or macros, please use the table below as a guide.
- 2 ripe bananas;
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax meal + 6 tbsp water);
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted;
- 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut or almond milk;
- 1 tsp vanilla essence;
- 1 Apple, grated (I used Granny Smith);
- 1 cup rolled oats;
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder;
- 1/2 cup rye flour (you can use wholemeal or spelt flour too);
- 1 tbsp hempseeds;
- 1 tbsp chia seeds;
- 1 tbsp linseeds;
- 2 tbsp pepita/pumpkin seeds; and
- 1/4 cup sultanas.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius and line a muffin tray with muffin liners or spray the tray with olive oil;
- In a food processor, process the banana until it becomes light and creamy. Add the flax eggs, coconut oil, milk and vanilla essence to the food processor and process until well combined;
- Add the grated Apple, rolled, protein powder and flour to the banana mixture and process until well combined;
- Add the remaining ingredients and process until well combined;
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared muffin trays until the banana mixture is finished;
- Place the tray into the preheated tray and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown;
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Place in a container for up to a week; and
- Enjoy as a mid-morning/afternoon snack or as breakfast muffins 😍
These types of recipes are perfect for cravings!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!
Thank you 🙂 Hope you enjoy it 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person