Christmas is around the corner and I am getting into the festive mood by baking Christmas goodies. I won’t be having a Christmas party but I love baking Christmas cookies and cakes as gifts.
Almost everyone I know love shortbread cookies, so this year I am planning to give shortbread cookies as gifts to my work colleagues and friends. This is one of my favourite shortbread that I have made to date and they contain one of my favourite nuts, macadamias. I have paired macadamias with lemon and used coconut oil, so these cookies are vegan friendly. I have also used coconut sugar so these shortbread cookies are on the healthier side. So, if you are looking to make your Christmas gifts, why not try these shortbread cookies?
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have. As always, please let me know what you think of this recipe.
Makes 18 shortbread cookies
- 1 cup wholemeal flour (you can use normal white flour if you wish);
- 1/3 cup white flour;
- 1/4 cup macadamias, chopped (you can use cashews if you prefer);
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (you can add more coconut sugar if you like your shortbread sweeter);
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted; and
- Zest of 1 lemon.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper;
- Mix the coconut oil and coconut sugar until well combined;
- Then add all the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined;
- Form the dough into round balls and flatten to resemble a round cookie and place on the baking tray. Continue until the cookie dough is finished. The cookie dough is on the crumblier side, so place the cookie dough in the fridge for 30-45 minutes if you are struggling to form into cookies;
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes;
- Remove from the oven and cool completely. Store the shortbread in an airtight container for up to two weeks;
- Enjoy with a cup of tea or have these shortbread as Christmas treats 🙂