As the weather gets warmer, I do not crave for warm and comforting food for breakfast. But I still love my oats for breakfast as they are filling, keeps me fuller for longer and have all the right carbohydrates to keep me going for 3-4 hours.
So, I have been making overnight oats lately. They are so easy to make and all I have to do is mix all my ingredients and store it in the fridge overnight (or up to a week). And in the morning, top the oats with some fresh fruit and/or nuts and they will be ready to be devoured 🙂 One of my favourite ovenight oats flavour creations is my carrot cake overnight oats. So, I would love to share my recipe with all of you. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have.
For those of you counting calories and macros, you can use the table below as a guide.
For the overnight oats:
- 1 cup rolled oats;
- 3 small carrots, shredded;
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk;
- 2/3 to 1 cup water depending on the consistency you like your oats;
- 3 tbsp vanilla protein powder (you can leave this out if you do not like the taste of protein powder in your oats);
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut;
- 2 tbsp dried sultanas/currants;
- 1/2 to 1 tsp ground cinnamon; and
- 1 tbsp chia seeds/hemp seeds.
For the toppings:
- 2 tbsp walnuts; and
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds.
- In a large bowl, mix all the overnight oats ingredients until well combined and store in the fridge overnight;
- In the morning, divide the overnight oats into 3 bowls and top with some crushed walnuts and sunflower seeds. You can also add some sliced apples or honey for additional sweetness; and
- Enjoy 🙂