I love having granola for breakfast especially when I am pressed for time and I have not meal prepped for the week or on the weekends when I do not feel like making breakfast. I also love having granola with my yogurt as a snack. I love the crunchiness and texture that the granola adds to the yogurt.
But as we know, store bought granolas are packed with unnecessary amount of sugar and saturated fat. Even if the granolas are refined sugar free, they tend to contain at least 25% of sugar per serve which I believe is an unhealthy amount.
So, I now make a batch of my own oil free nut free spiced granola that I have in my pantry for that day when I do not feel like making breakfast or that morning that I have to run out of the front door to work. My granola is only sweetened with bananas. Bananas are also the ingredient that binds together all the other ingredients in my granola to give the crunchy texture. I have used seeds instead of nuts in my granola but feel free to use nuts in your version. I have also added some vegan protein powder in my granola for the added protein boost but you can leave this out or include additional nuts/seeds in your version 🙂
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have. As always, please let me know what you think of this recipe. If you like what you see on this blog, you can follow me on my blog, Facebook or Instagram for some food porn.
For those of you counting calories and macros, you can use the table below as a guide.
Makes 7 cups of granola (1/2 cup of granola is a serve)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats;
- 3 cups puffed quinoa;
- 1 cup puffed brown rice;
- 2 cups puffed amaranth;
- 1/2 cup buckwheat kernels or buckinis;
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds;
- 1/2 cup linseeds;
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds;
- 4 tbsp chia seeds;
- 1/2 cup salted caramel or vanilla protein powder;
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon;
- 2 tsp ground cardamom;
- 2 tsp mesquite powder;
- 2 tbsp flax meal;
- 4 ripe bananas; and
- 2 tbsp water.
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius and line a large baking tray with baking paper;
- In a food processor, place the bananas, flax meal and water and process until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy. You may need to scrape down the sides of food processor every so often;
- In a large bowl, place all the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined;
- Once the banana mixture is nice and creamy, pour this mixture into the large bowl with the well mixed ingredients and mix until well combined. Make sure all the dry ingredients have been mixed well with the banana mixture;
- Transfer the well combined mixture to the baking tray and spread the mixture well across the tray;
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 1.5 hours or until the mixture has completely dried out. You will need to stir the mixture every 10-15 minutes to ensure the granola cooks evenly;
- Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cook completely. Place in an airtight container and store in a cool place for up to a month;
- Enjoy with milk, yogurt or simply in its own 🙂