Do you ever feel like comfort food but still want something healthy to eat and easy to make? Well, this was me on the weekend. It was looking pretty grey outside, so having a cold salad was the last thing I felt like having when lunch time rolled around and my tummy was rumbling. So, I looked in the fridge, there was leftover rice from the night before, cartons of eggs and I knew we had frozen vegetables in the freezer. So, I decided to make a fried rice.
Growing up, I used to love fried rice. Whenever my mom made fried rice, I would have two or more servings. To me, fried rice is more of a comfort food. My mom had made many different varieties of fried rice over the years and I don’t think there was any that I did not love 💕 She would make the fried rice healthy with a variety of colourful vegetables, some protein and different spices, garlic and seasoning. So, today I would like to share with you my 10-minute sesame soy fried rice. It literally takes 10 minutes to make if you already have cooked rice in the fridge and frozen vegetables in the freezer. (It took me longer to plate and photograph this fried rice than to make it 😂) For a vegan option, you can substitute the eggs and ham with firm tofu.
The best thing about this fried rice is that it keeps well in the fridge and reheats well in the microwave, so it’s a great meal prep dish. So, you can make a big batch of this fried rice for work day lunches and still feel like you having comfort food yet a healthy meal that won’t leave you sluggish afterwards 😊
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have. As always, please let me know what you think of this recipe. If you like what you see on this blog, you can follow me on my blog, Facebook or Instagram for some food porn. Also, if you do recreate this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @subz_foodie 🙂
Serves 1-2 depending on how hungry you are
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil;
- 2 free range eggs (or 150g firm tofu for vegan option – mash the tofu with a fork);
- 50g lean ham, sliced into small pieces (omit for vegan option);
- 1 cup frozen vegetables (I used peas and corn);
- 1 cup cooked rice (I used red rice but you can use your favourite rice);
- Pepper to taste;
- Soy sauce to taste;
- Optional: chilli flakes & sesame seeds.
- Heat a wok on a medium high heat. Once the wok is hot, add the sesame oil;
- Once the oil is hot, crack the eggs in the wok (or throw in the mashed tofu for vegan option) and scramble until cooked to your liking;
- Then, add the ham (omit for vegan option), frozen vegetables and cooked rice and stir fry until well combined and the vegetables are cooked;
- Then add pepper and soy sauce to taste;
- Transfer into a plate or bowl and enjoy 😊 You can add some chilli flakes and sesame seeds for extra taste;
- Refrigerates well for up to a week.