I know I make a lot of snacks! But I am a snacker and love to snack between my main meals. And so, I try to keep my snacks as healthy as possible. But I have a sweet tooth, so I try and make healthier snacks for me to enjoy when I am hungry.
This time I was craving for fudge. So, I made this no bake healthier fudge. This fudge is made with five simple ingredients – desiccated coconut, dried ginger, pecans, maple syrup & water/coconut milk and some spices for the gingerbread flavour! It turned out to be a treat and not overly sweet, so I am sharing this healthier fudge recipe with you 😊
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have. As always, please let me know what you think of this recipe. If you like what you see on this blog, you can follow me on my blog, Facebook or Instagram for some food porn. Also, if you do recreate this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @subz_foodie 🙂
Makes 20-24 fudge bites
- 3 cups desiccated coconut, toasted in the oven 10-15 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius;
- 1/3 cup dried ginger, chopped;
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped (or seeds of your choice for a nut free version);
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (or more of you prefer your fudge sweeter);
- 1 tbsp ground ginger;
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon;
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg;
- Water/Coconut milk; and
- ***Optional: sprinkles.
- Prepare a square and rectangular tray;
- In a high processing blender or food processor, place the toasted desiccated coconut and blend until the coconut becomes thick and cookie dough like. This will take 15-20 minutes and you need to scrape the sides of the blender every 2-3 minutes to ensure the coconut is evenly blended. You may a few tbsp of water/coconut milk if you are finding it difficult to blend the coconut;
- Once the coconut mixture is thick, empty the mixture into a large bowl from the blender;
- Add the chopped ginger, pecan, maple syrup and spices to the coconut mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined;
- Transfer the well combined coconut mixture into the prepared tray and evenly spread the mixture with a spoon. Use the back of the spoon to flatten the mixture;
- If using sprinkles, you can scatter some on the top of the coconut mixture. Using the spoon, press down the sprinkles so that the sprinkles do not fall away;
- Place the tray in the fridge and allow to harden for 3-4 hours; and
- Remove the tray from the fridge and cut into squares. Enjoy. Stores in the fridge for up to a month.