I bought an old school stovetop waffle maker about a year ago with the intention of making waffles that weekend! But that did not happen until a week ago when I decided it was about time I dust off my waffle maker which was collecting dust at the back of my pantry and out it came to good use. So, I made this healthier wholemeal waffles!
To make these waffles, I used a very similar recipe to my vegan pancake recipe – I only added some oil so that the batter was thick enough to become waffles. And they turned out delicious and Dorian told me I can make these waffles for him for breakfast any day 🙂 And I know I will be making these waffles more often as they are easy to make, tasty and a great way to start my weekend. I always fill happier when I make a hot breakfast on the weekend – I don’t know why but I just do! What about you? Do you prefer to make a hot breakfast on the weekend?
I hope you get to try this recipe and enjoy these waffles as much as I have. As always, please let me know what you think of this recipe. If you like what you see on this blog, you can follow me on my blog, Facebook or Instagram for some food porn. Also, if you do recreate this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @subz_foodie 🙂
Makes six scrumptious waffles
- 1/3 cup macromike protein powder (or self raising flour);
- 1/3 cup rye/buckwheat flour;
- 1/3 cup wholemeal flour;
- 1 tsp baking powder;
- 1 cup milk of your choice (I used almond milk);
- 2 tbsp walnut oil (or coconut/vegetable oil); and
- *Toppings: fresh fruit, maple syrup, peanut butter, seeds/nuts if your choice.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix all the above ingredients (except the walnut oil and the toppings) until well combined. Then, add the walnut oil and mix until well combined. Allow the batter to sit for 5 minutes;
- Grease your waffle maker with oil and place over medium high heat on a stove;
- Once the waffle maker is warm, pour 1/4-1/3 cup of the batter on the waffle maker and close the waffle maker to allow to cook;
- After 8-12 minutes, open your waffle maker and check if your waffle is cooked. It’s cooked if the waffle comes out easily;
- Once cooked, repeat above steps until all the batter is finished. Enjoy with your favourite toppings 🥞 I had mine with fresh figs & pomegranate, pumpkin seeds and peanut butter ☺️
Happy waffling and have waffly good day,
Great post 😁
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you 🙂