Happy World Bagel Day, everyone!
I have been meaning to make some sweet bagels for a few weeks now but I didn’t get the chance till last week. I have made these bagels 🥯 many times before a few years ago but I forgot about it until my recent trip to Tasmania where I have some delicious sesame bagels with cream cheese and jam, yum! 😋
So, off I went to my recipe directory and looked for my sweet bagel recipes and made them! And yes, they still taste as delicious as I remember and best of all, it only requires four ingredients to make and took less than 30 minutes to make from getting ingredients out of the pantry and fridge to popping the well-shaped bagels in the oven. So, I am sharing this recipe with you ☺️
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have. As always, please let me know what you think of this recipe. If you like what you see on this blog, you can follow me on my blog, Facebook or Instagram for some food porn. Also, if you do recreate this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @subz_foodie 🙂
Makes 6 delicious bagels 🥯
- 150g wholemeal flour (if you want a higher protein bagel, you can use 90g wholemeal flour + 60g non-whey protein powder. Don’t use whey protein as it will make your bagels rubbery. Also, if your protein powder doesn’t taste good, your bagels won’t taste good);
- 250g strained Greek yogurt (or coconut/soy yogurt for vegan option);
- 2 tsp baking powder;
- 30g sultanas; and
- ***Optional for topping: Milk of your choice as ‘egg’ wash and almond flakes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease a baking tray;
- In a bowl, place the wholemeal flour, baking powder and sultanas and mix until well incorporated. Then add the yogurt and mix until it becomes a dough;
- Dust your workspace with flour and transfer the dough from the bowl to your workspace. Knead the dough a few times until it is tacky but not sticky (it should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away);
- Divide the kneaded dough into 6 equal portions. Roll each portion into 3/4 inch thick ropes and join the ends to form a bagel and place on your greased baking tray;
- Brush the top of each bagel with milk and sprinkle with some almond flakes – make sure you press the almond flakes onto bagels so that they don’t fall off. Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the bagels turn golden brown;
- Enjoy 😉