Tofu fritters is one of my favourite childhood dishes that my mom used to make. The fritters are made with mashed tofu, mashed boiled potatoes, red onion, garlic and lots of spices which make some delicious fritters. Traditionally, these fritters are deep fried or shallow fried. But I airfry them or bake them, so they are a little healthier. But if you prefer them fried, please feel free to do so.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have. As always, please let me know what you think of this recipe. If you like what you see on this blog, you can follow me on my blog, Facebook or Instagram for some food porn. Also, if you do recreate this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @subz_foodie 🙂
Makes 15 delicious fritters/patties
- 2 large potatoes (~300g in total), cut into cubes;
- 450g firm tofu;
- 1 red onion, finely chopped;
- 3 garlic cloves, minced;
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger;
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves, picked and sliced;
- 2-3 tsp ground turmeric;
- 2-3 tsp ground cayenne pepper;
- 2-3 tsp garam masala;
- 2 tsp ground cumin;
- 2 tsp ground coriander seeds;
- San Elk veggie stock or salt to taste; and
- Pepper to taste.
- In a saucepan, place some water and the cubed potatoes and boil until the potatoes are soft and easily mashed with a fork;
- In a food processor, place the tofu and process until the tofu resembles fine crumbs – do not process too long as it will become a paste;
- Transfer the processed tofu to a large bowl. When the potatoes have cooked to a soft consistency, drain the potatoes and transfer to a bowl and mash with a fork. Transfer the mashed potatoes to the bowl with the tofu;
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius and grease a baking tray
- Then, add all remaning ingredients to the bowl and mix until well combined. The mixture should be able to form patties without falling apart. If the mixture does fall apart, add an egg (or flax egg for a vegan option) and the patties should not fall apart;
- Place 2-3tbsp of the tofu mixture in your hands and form into patties. Place the patties on the baking tray. You should be able to make 15-16 patties;
- Once you form all the patties, place the baking tray in the oven and baking for 20-30 minutes or until the patties are golden brown. Be careful as the patties may fall apart if not thoroughly cooked;
- ***You can also cook the patties in the AirFryer – make sure you spray some oil on the tray in the Airfryer so that the patties do not stick. Airfry for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown at 170 degrees Celsius;
- Enjoy with some rice, salad, in a sandwich or simply by itself. I had mine with a simple kaleslaw, brown rice and bean salad with a balsamic vinaigerette.
This looks like a very flavorful meal!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you, Dorothy. Definitely flavourful and delicious 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person