Wow, what a tumultuous 12 hours it has been! From being free to do almost anything we want in Melbourne to stage 4 lockdown within a few hours (due to a hotel quarantine cluster growing). Hopefully, this lockdown lasts only five days as planned! This lockdown means we can only leave our house for four reasons: getting essentials, care giving, going to work (if we can’t work from home) and exercising for up to two hours (within 5km radius). We had big plans for this weekend but that will now have to wait for another weekend. But that is ok as we are all safe and healthy (we always have to look at the positives but it is also ok to be sad and disappointed at that moment as we are humans and these feelings are normal).
And I will be baking one of my favourite healthier spiced cake with a lighter cream cheese icing for Dorian for Valentine’s Day tomorrow (shhh, don’t tell Dorian). The cake is made with wholemeal flour, greek yogurt, oil, sugar, almond milk and sprinkles (100’s and 1000’s) and the icing is made with cream cheese (of course!), strained greek yogurt, butter and sugar and topped with some sprinkles for good measure. So, the cake is not only delicious but also healthier and to me is an everyday cake I would enjoy eating everyday 🙂 So, if you are looking to make something for Valentine’s Day for your loved ones, why not try this healthier but delicious cake?
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have. As always, please let me know what you think of this recipe. If you like what you see on this blog, you can follow me on my blog, Facebook or Instagram for some food porn. Also, if you do recreate this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @subz_foodie 🙂
Makes a delicious cake
For the cake:
- 3 tbsp oil (I used peanut oil);
- 3 heaped tbsp Greek yogurt (or coconut yogurt for vegan option);
- 1/4 cup sugar;
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal + 6 tbsp water;
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice);
- 1 tsp vanilla essence;
- 2 cups wholemeal flour;
- 2 tsp baking powder;
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon;
- 1 tsp ground mixed spices;
- 1/2 cup sprinkles (100’s & 1000’s);
For the icing:
- 60g light cream cheese, room temperature (or vegan cream cheese for vegan option);
- 50g butter, room temperature (or vegan butter for vegan option)
- 120g strained greek yogurt or full fat yogurt (light greek yogurt may make your icing runny) (or coconut yogurt for vegan option);
- 6 tbsp powdered sugar;
- ***Optional: Sprinkles (100’s & 1000’s) for sprinkling on top of the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius and grease two 20cm (8 inch) round cake tins with some oil;
- In a large bowl, add the oil, yogurt, sugar, flaxseed meal and water and mix until well combined. Add the milk to this mixture and mix until well combined;
- Then, add wholemeal flour 1/2 cup at a time and mix until well combined. Add the baking powder, vanilla essence, cinnamon and mixed spices and mix until well combined;
- Then, fold in the sprinkles until well incorporated. Then, transfer the cake batter into the two prepared cake tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the cake;
- Whilst the cake is baking, make the icing. In a medium bowl, place the cream cheese, butter and yogurt and mix until well incorporated and smooth. Then, fold in the sugar and mix until well combined. The icing should be smooth and shiny;
- Once the cakes have baked, allow the cakes to completely cool; and
- Once the cakes have completely cooled, it is time to assemble the cake. Place one cake on a cake board. Then, put half the icing on the cake and spread evenly. Then, stack the next cake and put the remaining icing on the cake and spread evenly. Top with some sprinkles if you desire and devour 🤩
- Store in the fridge for up to two weeks (but I doubt it will last that long 😋 Enjoy.
Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone,