I made this cake for Mother’s Day a month ago and it was super delicious and moist! So, I have been making this cake for our snacks during the week. It’s super easy to make and you probably already have most of the ingredients in your pantry/fridge. It’s also healthier as it’s made with wholemeal flour, Greek yogurt and blueberries.
This cake is also meal prep friendly as it lasts in the fridge for up to a week. It also makes a great snack for your mid morning pick me up or when your sweet cravings strike at 3pm! Or if you are looking for a easy breakfast on the go, you can pair this cake with some high protein yogurt and nut butter on the side to make this cake part of a more complete breakfast 🤤 Or if you are like me, you prefer to have this cake with a cup of free tea before bed! So, tell me how do you like to have your cake? Breakfast, snack or dessert?
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have. As always, please let me know what you think of this recipe. If you like what you see on this blog, you can follow me on my blog, Facebook or Instagram for some food porn. Also, if you do recreate this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @subz_foodie 🙂
For the cake:
- 4 tbsp Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt for vegan option;
- 1/4 cup almond milk or milk of choice;
- 1/3 cup sugar;
- 4 tbsp oil;
- 1 egg or flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseed meal + 3 tbsp water);
- 2/3 cup wholemeal flour;
- 1/3 cup semolina (or more wholemeal flour);
- 3 tbsp desiccated coconut;
- Juice of half a lemon;
- Zest of one lemon;
- 2 tsp baking powder; and
- 1/2 cup frozen/fresh blueberry.
For the maple icing:
- 30g butter or vegan butter, at room temperature;
- 40g light cream cheese or vegan cream cheese or more vegan butter, at room temperature;
- 1 tbsp maple syrup; and
- 3-4 tbsp icing sugar or more if you prefer sweeter icing.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius and grease a round baking tray;
- In a bowl, mix the yogurt, milk, oil, sugar & egg until well combined. Then add the flour, semolina, coconut, lemon juice, lemon zest & baking powder & mix until well combined. Finally, fold the blueberries into the cake batter. Transfer the batter to the prepared tray and place the in the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean;
- To make the icing, whisk the butter, cream cheese, maple syrup & icing sugar until well combined, smooth and fluffy;
- Once the cake has cooled down, spread the icing evenly on the cake and enjoy 😊
- Stores in the fridge for up to a week.